Thursday, November 13, 2008

Rough Night, Good Day

The hotel isn't exactly a 5 star establishment, but it isn't bad either. Really my only complaint is the pillow. It is very flat and has the most ridged edges I have ever seen on a pillow. If you fold it in half it will spring back flat. So, the combination of not sleeping that well and all the travelling kinda caught up with me today. I wouldn't say I am sick but haven't felt 100% either. Hopefully, I will sleep well tonight and be back to normal tomorrow.

We saw even more beautiful scenery today and more wonderfully humble and hospitable people. I know we say it over and over again but it is impossible for us to adequately relay to you just how hungry people are for the Word and how receptive they are to it. After being there most of the day in the heat and listening to over 2 1/2 hours of preaching, they actually asked us to keep speaking. That is definitely a first!
When we finished speaking, Ricky and Joseph (one of the local preachers travelling with us) spoke some more and offered an invitation. At that time one lady said she wanted to be baptized. As we made our way down the stairs to the baptistry a few more had decided to be baptized as well. While Joseph was baptizing them he would ask questions and used the opportunity to keep teaching. By the time it was all said and done at least 9 had been baptized. We actually lost count. Can you believe it?
We met an inspiring woman today. She owns the home where the church meets. I will wait to tell you more about her when we get home. Tomorrow, we go back to the village we were at yesterday for another preacher workshop. That means another long, winding journey through the jungle (yes by car). I'm looking forward to doing it during the day so we can see more of what it looks like. I am also looking forward to being back in Kakinada for a little rest. We will be able to post pics then as well. Time to get some sleep, hopefully.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Daryl & Steve,

With all the bad stuff on the internet, I praise God and thank Him for all the good, of which your blog is a significant example. (As an electrical engineer who has been deeply involved with the computer since it was invented I am continually amazed by what it is capapble of!)

I continue to pray many times a day for your well-being and "well-doing." I also pray for Samantha and the girls and Amy and the boys.

Keep up the good work and be careful.

Bert

Anonymous said...

WE miss you guys, keep up the good work over there. Give Ricky a hug for me.

Tom

amy said...

I'm sorry you're not getting good sleep. I know how cruddy that makes you feel (like being at a lock-in with a bunch of teens!). I hope you are sleeping better tonight.

Grandma is here now. So far the boys aren't wearing her out with games!

I love you and miss you! Less than a week until we see you again! Woo Hoo!

TWHallman said...

Dear Brothers, I hope my comment today finds you well rested Daryl and no longer coughing Stevie. Honey is supposed to be a good natural cough suppressant if you can find some Steve. Sounds like you fellows are putting in some long days, I pray the Lord will give you strength, restful sleep, and good health. Thanks so much for spending some of your "down time" filling us in on your journey. Can't wait to see some jungle pictures! God bless and Godspeed. tt&z