Sunday, November 16, 2008

Fond Farewells - Daryl

In some ways it is hard to believe that it is time to start packing to come home.  It seems that our time here has just flown by, but when I think of all of our traveling and all we have done it seems like a long time.  It also seems like forever since I have been home.  I'm sure my boys have grown and changed just since I have been gone. 

I am so glad we got to spend a little more time with the children today.  They really are some of the most special people I have ever met.  I took a quick video tour of the home this evening with my camera.  I hope it turns out because I really want people back home to see how these kids live.  It is amazing they have such a positive attitude and are always so full of joy.  When it came time to say goodbye they all had to shake our hands and bid us "good journey" and "happy travels".  I think I must have shook some of their hands 10 times.  I also had to have a few rounds of group hugs.  During one round some one whispered in my ear, "come back to India."  I don't know which of them it was but it was a simple phrase that really meant a lot to me.

I did pretty well emotionally until it came time to say goodbye to Raju & Niranjin.  They are the oldest boys and they have traveled a lot with us.  They have served as bodyguards, interpreters, pack mules, photographers, and guides.  These 2 are really amazing.  I know no other 15 & 17 year old boys who are anything like them.  They are so selfless in watching after all the others.  I feel like I have watched 2 modern day Davids all week long as they have watched over their little lambs.  They took exceptional care of Steve and I as well.  I doubt they will ever know how much they taught me this week about being a true servant like Jesus.   I think the only thing I might have taught them was "hasta la vista, baby"  and "monkey in the middle" which is what we called Raju when he got stuck riding in the back seat between Steve and I.

We just had our last meal with the Gootam's.  Ms. Gootam made my favorite, her special recipe of fried chicken, wow!  I wasn't really hungry but I couldn't help but gorge myself knowing it was the last I would have for a very long time.  After supper we had a devotional with the family.  We sang together, Steve & I in English and all of them in Telegu.  Then it was time for us to say our goodbyes.  We have really been treated like royalty here.  I don't know that I can adequately thank them for their tremendous hospitality.

One more day and one more time to preach and then we head home.  I hope my voice holds out.  Late this afternoon it just started to go.  I am praying that when I wake up in the morning I will have at least enough for one more lesson and to be able to order Mazaa.  Yes, I have a new obsession.  I believe Mazaa is India's largely undiscovered gift to the world.  It's bottled Mango juice and I love it!

I just reread this posting and it has been kind of random.  Guess it is time to sign off.  We will probably be able to post one more time tomorrow evening and that will be it.  Sorry I never got the video to work but for some reason no matter what I tried I could not get it to upload to the blog or to Youtube.  Oh well, gotta save something for when we get home.

I almost forgot.  Don't tell Amy or my mom but I got a true taste of life in India tonight.  Ricky took me on a tour of Kakinada on the back of his motorcycle.  You can't say you have really experienced India unless you have been down the road on a bike.  The longer I am here I feel more and more Indian.  Now if I can just master that head bob thing they do, hahahahaha


5 comments:

TWHallman said...

Dear Brothers, Thank you so much for the time you have spent sharing your mission journey with us all. Your stories have truly been a blessing. Way to go Daryl on the "two-up" ride into town! Wonderful news that Chadhra is recovering well. Mazaa sounds great, we will have to see if can find some at the Indian grocery. Praying that your trip home is a safe one. God Bless and Godspeed brothers. ttz

Anonymous said...

glad you had a good trip and glad your coming home. oh mom knows about your motorcycle ride. now I'm the good kid. Ha! jerry

amy said...

i just hope you were wearing your helmet!!!!!!!!!!!

i can't wait to see you!

Anonymous said...

Helmet??? Are you kidding, Amy?? :)

Samantha

Anonymous said...

Seriously, now . . .

I am thrilled that you both had this wonderful opportunity. I can't wait to hear more about it and see more pictures. I know that God has touched many lives through you.

See you soon!

Samantha