Monday, November 3, 2008

I'm in full trip mode now - Steve

I didn't sleep a wink last night. Way too excited, nervous and preoccupied with our trip to sleep! It's all sinking in now. In about 36 hours we will be on a plane, leaving our families and other loved ones behind and heading off to the unknown. The realization that I won't get to see Samantha, Emily and Anna Kay for two whole weeks is one of those things I have known all along, but the reality of what a sacrifice that is doesn't really sink in until a day or two before I leave. It's tough on them too. Anna Kay especially has a tough time when dad isn't there to tuck her in at night. I'll trust all of you to keep an eye on them for me and to keep them in your prayers while I am gone.

Going someplace you have never been before, especially someplace as different from here as India, is always an exciting but a little scary proposition. I was doing OK thinking about the new culture, language, food, bed and all of that. I was even OK with knowing that we are going to be preaching and speaking to numerous churches numerous times (maybe 2-3 times per day) while we are gone. But I must admit I'm pretty intimidated by the prospect of speaking for 4 HOURS to a room full of preachers on two different occasions! What in the world will I say to them for that long that will be helpful to them?! Preachers are supposed to minister to me! Not vice versa! Right Daryl? I think I just have to focus on the different perspective that I bring to the table. I won't presume to tell them how to preach, but I can tell them from a listener's perspective what I need to hear and what I don't hear enough of from the pulpit. I'm sure God will provide the words when the time comes, but this is officially the part of the trip I am most nervous about now. Daryl can just dust off a series of past sermons from his files, but I actually have to prepare for these things! ;-)

People keep sending me e-mails about recent bombings in India and the horrible acts of violence being committed against Christians in the nearby state of Orissa, and asking me if I am concerned. Honestly, the bombings don't concern me at all as far as my own personal safety is concerned (although I am certainly concerned for those innocent victims of those acts). India is such a huge country that the odds of random sporadic acts like that effecting us directly is probably about the same as getting hit by lightning (and probably much lower than the risk s we face everyday on the highways here).

The religious violence in Orissa is much more concerning because it is close to where we are going and targeted specifically at people just like us and the ones we will be visiting. But so far, all of that violence has been localized in Orissa and has not spread to neighboring states. But if ever there were a group of Christians that needed our collective prayers, it is our brothers and sisters in Orissa. They are facing persecution from radical Hindus of the very worst kinds. I have read of nuns being gang raped publicly, of a preacher being beaten with lead pipes by a mob in front of his family and then being thrown alive into the flames of his burning church building. Of entire families being forced to escape to and live in the jungle to avoid being forced to choose between a brutal death and disavowing their faith in Christ. Please do not forget about our brothers and sisters who are in such peril and need of our prayers at this very moment!

For us, I expect the biggest risks on this trip will be the food-borne illness that India is known for (the so-called "Delhi Belly") and sheer exhaustion from the grueling pace we will likely be keeping. But we welcome and solicit your prayers for our safety, well-being and for the effectiveness of our work. "Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel...." Ephesians 6:19

No comments: