Monday, November 10, 2008

Just Another Manic Monday - Daryl

Today, has been a long yet rewarding day and it isn't over yet.  120 preachers from around the area came for a monthly preacher's workshop.  Steve and I were the guest speakers.  We both presented 2 lessons that were about 30 mins long (1 hour w/ translation).  I spoke on proofs that Jesus is the Christ and on Christ being the head of the church.   We had a lunch break in the middle where we had yet another outstanding meal.  It was really inspiring to meet so many of these brothers who sacrifice so much to spread the Gospel.

That I know of, none of them receives support from outside of the country.  They each work to support their families and still conduct full-time ministry.  All of them work with at least 2 congregations, some with 3.  That means they preach (for an hour on avg) at one congregation then hop on a bike or walk to another village and preach again, and perhaps even a third trip.  They do that every Sunday.  During the week when they aren't working to survive, they are doing individual studies.  They really are an amazing group of men.

We have mentioned before that several folks back home were very generous and that has given us the ability to immediately address some needs as we see them.  One such need is for bicycles for the preachers.  They call them Gospel Chariots.  Because they work with more than one village and people scattered over a wide area, they have to do a lot of walking.  The bikes help them to cover a larger area and see more people as well as making their life just a little easier.  For about $60 each we were able to purchase 10 "Gospel Chariots" and give them to the preachers today.  Below are pictures of us at the workshop and presenting the keys to the bikes to their new owners.  Yes, they have keys.  They have locks on the wheels to help prevent theft.

2 comments:

amy said...

That's awesome! I was wondering what you were handing that guy in the last picture! I like the name Gospel Chariots.

We're just getting up and around here on our Monday morning. This works out great....you post before you go to bed, and then we get to read it to start our day!

I hope you have a voice left after all that preaching!

I love you!

Anonymous said...

That is so cool!! I, too, was wondering what Daryl was handing the man. I'm so glad that God was able to bless those men through the many generous donations that you received for this trip. I'm sure the bikes will make it easier for them to cover more ground as they spread the Gospel.

Also, I chuckled when I realized that Steve and Daryl are in the picture with all of the men and their new bikes! It's kind of like a "Where's Waldo". I didn't see them at first.

I hope you both get a good night's rest tonight and that your voices will recover quickly as I'm sure you will have much more preaching to do in the jungle!

Samantha